Monday, October 1, 2012

Blog 8


Blog #8: After you receive my comments to Blog 7 - do some more work on developing your research project.  List references, write to the prompts for 4 & 5 on "developing a research plan" => or develop writing useful for where ever  
you are in terms of developing your project.


My research topic: "How do women tell stories differently than men do?"

  • I am very interested in borrowing Deborah Tannen's work that Dr. Chandler mentioned to me as well as any other suggested authors. I may look for sources online but I think that I will be able to find more relevant information in the form of print.       
  • I am definitely open for my classmates to comment on this topic as well as any sources they think that I can benefit from.
  • I need to choose a particular story that I want my subjects to share. With this being said, I want my subjects to tell their story about falling in love. I plan on asking my mom and my dad to share their stories with me. I think that my parents are the perfect candidates for this because they fell in love during high school and have been happily married for the past thirty-one years. I want to see how my dad recalls meeting my mom and falling in love for the first time and how my mom shares her story about meeting  and falling in love. Also, my parents have only been with each other, so I think that these facts may cause for some interesting results. Background information definitely plays a part in the results I may receive. 
  • I am wondering if age (my parents are four years apart) plays a role in how each of them tell a story, as well as experiences, family values, etc. I want to know the reason or gain some insights why women and men share their stories differently. I am assuming that since women are more emotional and men may hide their feelings more often that this may be a reason why stories are more complex for women. This is why I am interested in this topic, all due to assumptions that society has.
  • I can list some assumptions that I have about men and women that may contribute to them sharing their stories differently and than compare that to what I find from my research as well as from what authors have said about story telling.





No comments:

Post a Comment