Sunday, December 2, 2012

Blog 23

Blog #23: State one focus (or several) that you see in your data.  Post the sections from the interview that you will be able to use to support/develop a discussion of that focus.  State the point relevant to your focus that each chunk of data will illustrate/develop.

My data caught me completely off guard. Simply for the fact that my mother had a lot, and I mean A LOT more to say than that of my father. I wonder if this proves a theory or not. My mother's comments were very detailed and lengthy, whereas my father's comment had none of that and no matter how I tried to get information out of him, I could not, which is the explanation for the short responses. 

I was able to break up some of my data to the parts where my male subject gave me some valuable information.  Both of my subjects remembered meeting for the first time at a party. My mom gave me a full detailed story in depth about this day, whereas my father just said, "Party". What got me was I know that he can tell a more detailed story about this day, because it was done on Thanksgiving. Maybe, questioning in put him on the spot rather than when a story is told in a group setting around his family--brothers. 

Female subject- Meeting at a Party

S:  Can you tell me a particular story about meeting him for the first time?
M:  At this party the girls were going to cook for the boys.  I made macaroni salad, being 14 years old mind you, never made this before.  Of course my mother helped me make it.  I heard someone at the party asking who made the macaroni salad and then heard before I could even reply saying it was dry.  Well, annoyed and not even know who this person was, or why they were at this party.  I yelled if you don’t like it don’t eat it.  Not a great first impression was it?

Male subject- Meeting at a Party
S: How did you meet one another?
A:  Party.

This also shows how long and detailed my female subject was than that of my male subject. What does this mean? How do I include this in my research paper? I am not sure. The responses were short and may or may not be meaningful. Based on my male's answers, how do I state a focus? The more help the better! 

I had already broken my interview into sections for each subject (as seen below). I took out questions based on the previous answers I had received, as well as relevance. I feel like I got a lot of emotional answers from my female subject--which I think may be a focus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment