Thursday, November 15, 2012

Blog 20


Blog #20: Write a note to me that reflects on what you have written so far for your introduction + review of the research.  In this note, comment on the following.

  "How do women tell stories differently than men do?"

1.  What are the strengths your writing for the introduction?  What do you need to work on?
I am not sure what my strengths were, although, I do feel that I did an okay job describing my topic and giving some information regarding what I plan on mentioning throughout the body of my paper. I feel like I need to do a better job in terms of organization. Overall, I feel like i'm just writing without having any prior outline or anything to work with. I am confusing myself. 

What are the strengths of your writing for the review of the 
literature?  What do you need to work on?
I felt somewhat confident with my literature review section, but more so for Tannen's work. I am still confused with Gilligan's work, so I need to include that in my review as well when I comprehend that better. I feel like I explained Tannen's viewpoint, but to intertwine with my research question? I'm not sure about that. I need to explain their ideas better. 

2. What is the research problem identified in your introduction?  How do you point out what your research project will contribute toward resolving this "problem"?  In other words, what have you written about  the importance of your project for writing studies?
The problem I addressed, I think, has to do with the idea that society believes that women talk more, when it fact it is men who talk more. In a relationship, men bottle up their emotions and women tend to think men don't care, when that is their way of showing that they do. I am confused when it comes to this part. I am hoping to conclude how men and women speak about relationships.


3. What have other researchers found out about your topic that is relevant to your research project?

Other researchers have found that men don't speak about their emotions, because they like to avoid arguments. They like to look masculine and they like to have power over women. Many researchers mentioned how women speak differently than men, how it is somewhat different languages. When it comes to relationships men aren't as in depth as women are.

4.  How do you connect findings from question 3 to the purpose of your project?
Well, I use quotes and summarize what the authors had to same about my topic, although, there is plenty I hope to change to make it flow better. Findings from question 3 will interlock with the purpose of my project, as if they are written by the same person rather than different people. I hope to connect more findings with my purpose. 

5.  What is your plan for finishing/revising your introduction and literature review?
I would like to revise this section after I receive feedback from Dr. Chandler. I don't plan on going on until I feel confident with this section, considering it makes or breaks the actual paper.  Hopefully after understanding Gilligan's book, I can add her thoughts to this literature section as well. Also, if I find it necessary to speak about conversations between boys and girls and how they relate to men and women's conversations I may add information from my third article as well, which will change this section. 

6.  What feedback do you want from me?
-I would like to know what to keep and what to change pretty much.
-I need help with organization, in terms of outlining the most.
- I would also appreciate if again, you would sum up Gillian's book for me.
- I feel like I understand what is expected, but then when I read what I wrote I feel like I didn't make the proper connections or what I chose had nothing to do with my research question.

No comments:

Post a Comment