Thursday, September 6, 2012

Blog 2

BLOG #2: In your own words define analysis. What is it? How does it work? Describe how you would use analysis to study one of the areas of interest you mentioned in your first blog.

I would define analysis as looking deep into something to find out the meaning behind it, to find out why something is what it is, sort of like solving a problem. Analysis is all about the process that it takes to come up with a theory in which you are researching. Analysis works as a tool when coming up with a theory in your research. When looking at your research you start by naming the information that you see, you then classify the information that you have into categories, then you look for patterns in your information looking at either the whole picture or smaller parts of your research, after you gather this information you can come up with a hypothesis relating to how the data works similar to that of creating a story. Lastly, after you have gone through this process you will be able to test your hypothesis to see if your theory fits. This may not be easy to do, but after some time and practice it will become clear to you. Analysis is about the steps it takes come to your theory. I'll find something that works and follow that patten until I get a clear understanding of what I am researching. Obviously the most important is finding codes that are right and fit together. I will probably make a lot of hypothesis and testing before I find the answer. After, learning about analysis in class today I was able to get a clear understanding of what analysis is and how I can use it to study my topic of storytelling. I will gather my information and then I break it down to come up with a theory that I will test to see if it fits with my information. For example, I could have a child tell a story about their vacation and then have their parent tell the same story to see how the stories are either similar or different. I have to make sure that I use this process in order to come up with a clear theory. Analysis makes it easier to do research, especially when coming up with a theory that works best. I don't want to find irrelevant or misconceiving information, because I would be misleading in my information.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you went into great detail of what analysis means. If someone did not know the meaning or did not understand what analysis is, they will after reading your blog. I can't wait to hear more about your research h on story telling. I have children and I know how stories change when they are telling it. I look forward to reading more about story telling

    ReplyDelete